Thursday, March 27, 2008

Systems Packaging/Shipping

You know, I received a new (well, used unit, new to me) Clariion yesterday from another division in my company. Came with around 10TB usable of 146GB drives in a nice EMC cabinet.

However, the most impressive thing about the whole unit was the packaging. The crate it came in was very nice, easy to open, and had a very nice hinged ramp once it was opened. Took a little wiggling on the crate to get the rack out, but once it started moving at the wheels were all pointed in the right direction, the rack rolled right out. With a couple extra pairs of hands, we had it unboxed in about 5 minutes.

I guess it's not really a technical topic, but it sure did make my life easier. How many times have you received systems that came in and took longer to unbox than to put into production? I think I had some HP blade servers that were like that recently... had to unbox the RAM, extra CPUs, voltage regulators, fiber HBA, etc. What a pain!

No comments: