Saturday, August 15, 2009

MSCS: RPC Server is unavailable during node add

This one seems to be a little specific to my (or other large) environments.

Turns out, despite the fact that my first node and second node could ping each other by short name, fqdn; they could use nblookup to perform a netbios lookup against each other, the second node wouldn't join the cluster.

I checked my network binding order, I checked all sorts of other goodies..

Turns out that because of the large environment and the transitions we're going through, the nodes could resolve each other by their 'real' fqdn, but if you tried a ping, it would show a different dns suffix.

e.g.:
ping nodeb.oldcompany.com

Would succeed, but show:
pinging nodeb.newcompany.com

I added an entry in the hosts file to make sure that the short name of the server was listed with the old fqdn, and that fixed it:

192.168.x.x nodeb.oldcompany.com nodeb

No comments: